Life lessons learned on the way to find harmonious synchronicity with my horse...or at least stay on!

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Best Way to Spread Christmas Cheer


Is singing loud for all to hear.  Right?

I admit it-I have been a total Grinch this year.  And not just because the radio stations play Christmas music so annoyingly early.  The reason I haven't been in the mood to be jolly is because I'm moving.  Due to family circumstances, I'm having to leave the beautiful cabin that I rent in Versailles by January 1st and move myself, Gemini, Wrigley, Romeo and Royal elsewhere.  Of course, renting is always a risk and although I knew this was not a permanent location, I didn't have any plans to leave just yet.  Don't fret-I already have a new place to live....but more about that later.

So, why am I so humbug?  Everyone loves Christmas, including myself.  I love decorating and lights and my little Dickens villages and the new tree I bought last year that is super tall and all of my cool Christopher Radko ornaments...and my obsession with wrapping paper.  But what's the point of putting everything up this year?

So, instead of stockings hung by the chimney with care, I have an empty mantel.

Instead of a tree, lights, ornaments, and gifts wrapped up with bows, I have everything I own in boxes piled everywhere.

And it STINKS.  HUMBUG!!!

So, I've been moping around all December with this anti-Christmas attitude.  I tried to listen to some Holiday music earlier this week.  Nope, nothing, and changed to 80's hits instead.  I haven't even thought of Christmas shopping, and really am in denial of the whole holiday.  Then, a couple things happened that started to melt this icy heart.  Last night, I attended our annual Love on a Leash Holiday party, hosted by a member  whose house was beautifully decorated for Christmas.  It was a great time!  Today, I decided to turn on some music while packing and give it another whirl.  Pandora's Today's Christmas Radio.  And that's when it hit me.  Wanna know what was going through my mind?  Honest...it was this exact scene:


Christmas is going to come, even though there are not stockings or presents or lights on a tree, and you don't need those things to feel in the holiday mood.  If the Hoo's can do it without decorations, darn it, so can I!!

There is one place, though, that I feel most rooted, even when other parts of my life are crumbling.  It's where I go to clear my head and be with some of the greatest people I have ever known doing what we love.  It's the barn, and my barn family, who are there every day taking care of our horses, chipping in to help each other out when we need it, venting when one of us needs to bitch about something, crying, laughing, and enjoying each other's company.  Each of us leads a very different life, but when we get to the barn, we are all unified horse crazy women.  Today, I thought "why not decorate my stall!!"  After all, I practically live at the barn...so, I drug out some decorations and spruced up the place a bit:


I even tortured the grey horse with a little holiday cheer.  I want to thank one of my BBFs (best barn friends), Erica Spradling, for taking these pictures of us.

Nope, not gonna happen....

Oh wait, this keeps my ear warm.  
Does she know what she's doing??

What is this???

Best picture ever...and I almost lost my finger in the process!

I am so lucky to have such a enormous group of horse friends, even beyond the barn where I board, that within 2 hours, I had practically secured a new, wonderful place to live.  Thanks to each and every one who called, emailed, and helped me.  I now start a new adventure on a farm with a wonderful family and I cannot wait!!  I'm sure there will be many mis-adventures in 2014, when you combine horses, goats, chickens, dogs, cats....insanity is sure to follow!!

The next week will be a blur of moving, and luckily Mom is coming to help, before the trip up to Chicago for the holidays.  So, if I don't see everyone and say it before then, Merry Christmas, my dear friends.


 And I do believe it is time to watch Elf-SAAANNNNTTTTAAA!!!  I know him!


**cue John Denver and the Muppets.....my favorite song on my favorite album.



No comments:

Post a Comment